FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Madison, WI area
The Automation & Instrumentation Specialist is responsible for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, diagnosis and repair of production equipment, machinery and building facilities; especially as it relates to the facilities’ automation systems and components such as PLC’s and drives. This position works under limited supervision and is responsible to instruct production personnel in the operation and interfaces of automated systems as well as training and instruction of other maintenance personnel to troubleshoot and program the automation systems.
- Maintain the condition of production and facility equipment; in accordance with state regulations and manufacturer guidelines
- Services, repairs, calibrates, regulates, fine-tunes or test machines, devices and equipment that operate primarily through electrical or electronic principles (not mechanical)
- Ensures optimum operation of all production equipment and machinery by troubleshooting, diagnosis and repair of any problems in a timely manner.
- Assist in the implementation of company maintenance policies and training; maintain all necessary licenses and certification and assist in training lower level mechanics.
- Coordinate with production for repair or preventative maintenance of production and processing equipment to minimize downtime
- Record production, repairs, and machine maintenance information and maintain cGMP records (paper and electronic)
- Validates metrology equipment throughout the production facility
- Supports team to maintain, diagnose and repair all process and building systems and their components; including HVAC, production waste water system, steam, compressed air, hot and cold-water system, electrical, liquid nitrogen and ammonia systems, fermenters, vendor packaged skid systems and other similar systems throughout the facility
- Performs work required for installation and/or removal of equipment
- Associates degree in Automated Manufacturing System Technology or related discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience in an FDA-regulated or controlled manufacturing environment, preferably dietary supplements or pharmaceuticals.
- Combination of training and on-the-job experience will be considered in place of degree.
- Ability to recommend design and installation changes to install and/or build new machinery, equipment or parts to improve current production processes.
- Experience with PLC’s to solve problems and make long-term improvement to equipment and processes. Experience with Allen Bradley PLC’s a plus.
- Basic knowledge of HVAC operations and boiler plant fundamentals; including troubleshooting.
- Ability to provide” on-call” support on rotating schedule as well as working overtime, holidays and varying shifts as needed.
- Knowledgeable in GMP, inspection guidelines, sanitation, dietary supplement regulations, food regulations, and product safety.
- Excellent communication, organizational, planning, problem-solving and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player in a diverse work group.
- Ability to read and interpret control wiring and logic diagrams for PLC & Automation equipment, P&IDs, relays, motors, sensors and general arrangement for process equipment and utilities
- Knowledge of root cause analysis and other problem-solving methods.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please e-mail your resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line