LOCATION: Madison area
The Bioprocess Technician will be responsible for assisting in research and development activities of probiotic strains, (Lactobacillus sp. and Bifidobacterium sp. primarily), for dietary supplement applications. This includes the development of growth medium, processing protocols, freeze drying optimization, and potency testing of bacterial cultures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential job duty. Essential job functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute experiments on Lactobacillus and Bifido strains.
- Follow experimental plans and SOP’s to set up and harvest bacterial fermentations.
- Prepare growth medium, and enumerate bacterial strains using dilution plating.
- Assist with the development of optimized protocols for the lyophilization of probiotic cultures.
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Analyze and record data from experiments while maintaining confidentiality.
- Assist in scale-up from development to intermediate pilot.
- Maintain accurate and complete laboratory records as required.
- Maintain the laboratory in a safe, clean, and organized manner.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
The appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are achievable through the following combination of education, work experience and training:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or better in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Food Science, Biology, Biochemistry, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year of laboratory experience with interest in industrial microbiology.
- Experience with lyophilization (preferred).
- Excellent communication, organization, planning, problem-solving and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and independently, dependent on business need; while closely following instructions in a laboratory environment.
- Occasional travel may be required.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org