Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS®-1
Our trademarked strain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS®-1, possesses over 35 years of clinical research, making it one of the longest studied probiotic strains. In addition it boasts the following qualities:
- L. acidophilus is arguably the best described probiotic species and has a long and well-established history in the manufacture of yogurt, fermented dairy products and probiotic supplements
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 is very acid-resistant and tolerates bile very effectively. Relative to other probiotics strains, L. acidophilus DDS®-1 is extremely well adapted to survive harsh conditions, such as acid, bile and oxygen which are encountered in the human gastrointestinal tract
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 is of human origin, further evidence of its capability to survive intestinal transit; a key factor when considering a good probiotic.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 has shown excellent adherence to human intestinal cell lines in vitro. Attachment to these cell lines is a good indicator of adherence potential in the human gut and provides a better opportunity for the probiotic to exert its beneficial properties.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 produces an important antibacterial compound called “acidophilin” and can inhibit the growth of pathogens, such as E. coli, S. aureus, Salmonella spp., etc. The ability of a probiotic strain to exert anti-pathogen activity is important for its potential to beneficially modulate the microflora.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 can support digestive functions through the hydrolysis of milk proteins and lactose.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1, either alone or in combination with other probiotic strains, has been studied in several gold-standard randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials over many years.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 has been shown clinically to support digestive and immune health.
- L. acidophilus DDS®-1 is also one of the few probiotic strains to have been researched clinically, and shown to be well-tolerated in virtually all age groups, including children and adults of all ages.