Bioprocess Development Scientist
This position offers you an excellent opportunity to make a difference at a growing probiotic-based health and wellness company as you advance our capabilities in bioprocess development. You will work in a collaborative and engaging environment with passionate professionals who deliver to high standards.
The Bioprocess Development Scientist is responsible for research and development activities of probiotic strains, (Lactobacillus sp. and Bifidobacterium sp. primarily), for dietary supplement applications. This includes the development of growth medium and parameters, processing protocols, freeze drying optimization, and potency testing of bacterial cultures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential job duty. Essential job functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute experiments on fermentation and down-stream processing of primarily Lactobacillus and Bifido strains.
- Initiate experimental plans and SOP’s to set up and harvest bacterial fermentations.
- Develop and implement optimized, cost-effective manufacturing conditions (fermentation formulation and process) impacting cell yield, stability, quality for selected microbial strains.
- Assist with the development of optimized protocols for the lyophilization of probiotic cultures.
- Incorporate new technologies in solving established challenges.
- Provide technical leadership while developing new products, and scale-up troubleshooting from small-scale commercial levels.
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Analyze and record data from experiments while maintaining confidentiality.
- Maintain the laboratory in a safe, clean, and organized manner.
The appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are achievable through the following combination of education, work experience and training:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or better in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Food Science, Biology, Biochemistry, Fermentation Science, Industrial Microbiology or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of laboratory experience with a background in the physiology, genetics, fermentation, and application of lactic acid bacteria.
- Experience with lyophilization (preferred).
- Excellent communication, organization, planning, problem-solving and follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated attributes of an ideal team player.
- Occasional travel may be required.