Continuous Improvement Specialist
The Continuous Improvement (CI) Specialist’s role is to participate in the development and perform execution of the UAS Labs CI strategy through Lean principle strategies in a GMP-compliant facility. The CI Specialist provides direct support and leadership to achieve significant improvements with respect to safety, quality, and productivity. This includes performing business assessment, planning, facilitation, execution of kaizen events, and sustainment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty. Essential job functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and supports systems to foster accountability and recognition of CI efforts.
- Regularly interacting and providing insight and influence at all levels from business leaders to shop floor associates in leading and encouraging CI methodology, initiatives, work practices, etc.
- Collects and analyzes data including, OEE implementation and tracking, cycle time, yield, change-over time, and throughput, to identify and set priorities, using the appropriate tools to achieve desired outcome.
- Analyze ways to improve the 8-week operations schedule.
- Works with the quality team on CAPA’s to ensure effectivity, compliance and sustainability.
- Supports Operations through facilitation and implementation of Continuous Improvement projects; sustaining, improving and streamlining overall processes within the organization.
- Recommends CI projects (e.g., kaizen events, point kaizens, major project teams, etc.) based on evaluating operational and financial data and qualitative analysis based on observation and discussion; supported by proposed budget and cost/benefit forecasts.
- Lead approved CI activities by coordinating necessary human and operational resources and setting and implementing budgetary and timing controls to achieve chartered goals.
- Facilitates cross-functional teams that are working to eliminate waste in their work processes.
- Assists leadership in establishing baseline and target metrics for key business and functional processes.
- Leverage best practices gained through CI activities to other activities which would benefit from implementation.
- Train, mentor, and coach employees in the CI process and culture at all levels of the organization.
- Prepares, distributes and presents project status reports to project team members and management.
- Performs other duties as required.
The appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are achievable through the following combination of education, work experience and training:
- Certification in Lean Manufacturing principles, Six Sigma, TPS or equivalent training and career development in Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma or TPS.
- May have formal training and education in any of several disciplines and need not be a formally trained statistician or engineer.
- Strong understanding of contemporary problem-solving tools and techniques.
- Comfortable with applying statistical concepts to data analysis.
- Previous Operations experience (manufacturing/plant operations, etc.) is required.
- Ability to facilitate and motivate groups at all levels within the organization to achieve specific outcomes and lead change.
- Ability to effectively communicate issues and ideas with peers and with management.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without direct line of authority.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and adhere to guidelines.
- Ability to define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be a self-starter and innovative.
- Hands-on capability to work on projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database management software.