Our patented probiotic superstrain Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS®-1 is one of the most thoroughly studied strains in the industry. With over 35 years of clinical research completed and more to come, this strain stands above the rest. In addition to longevity, DDS®-1 is:
- A clinically supported strain that promotes digestive and immune health
- Continuously studied either alone or in combination with other probiotic strains using gold-standard randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical research trials
- Clinically shown to be supportive of digestive functions through the hydrolysis of milk proteins and lactose
- One of the few strains clinically shown to be well-tolerated in virtually all age groups
- Able to produce an important antibacterial compound called “acidophilin” that can inhibit the growth of pathogens, such as E. coli, S. aureus, Salmonella spp., etc.
- Shown to tolerate harsh conditions such as stomach acid and bile
- Shown to have excellent adherence to human intestinal cell lines, improving its potential in the human gut
- Well-established in the manufacturing of yogurt, fermented dairy products and probiotic supplements
The History of Probiotic Superstrain DDS ®-1
Dr. Khem Shahani, one of the most influential probiotic scientists in history, began his landmark research on L. acidophilus at the University of Nebraska in the late 1950s. He discovered a strain of L. acidophilus that showed superior growth, stability and nutritional potential. The stable qualities allowed the probiotics to pass through the stomach acid and implant in the intestine where it could multiply. Shahani named the strain DDS®-1 for the “Department of Dairy Science Number One strain. Shahani spent the rest of his career unlocking the strain’s potential for improving overall health, including probiotic digestive health and immune support. During his career, he was a consultant for international agencies such as the World Health Organization.